[Sigia-l] Dublin core subject and dewey decimal

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:11:56 EDT 2005

Hi,

On 8/30/05, stephanie hornung <stephanie at dehfne.com> wrote:
>  i assumed that it was
> meant for use in some sort of tagging process, so items would show up in
> the portal correctly, but i don't know.

In library speak, that's called 'free tagging' which is very, very,
incredibly far from using DD for anything. DD is a classification
scheme with a lot of motorics built in, and it is so huge and complex
that librarians with 20 years of experience with it still hasn't
grokked it properly. It is massive, and we want to get away from it.
It's becoming a relic of the past.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert