IA and Marketing Sneezers (was Re: [Sigia-l] Site registration

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Aug 26 01:48:41 EDT 2005

Andrew Boyd:

> How many ways are there of observing web application
> user behaviour that do not involve voluntary registration? I can think
> of a few direct ways (cookies for one) and a lot of indirect ways
> (related sites and pages that track hit to "sale" ratios/channel
> tracking, log analysis on unique IP addresses, analysis of helpdesk
> tickets, anonymous feedback mechanisms such as "Guest" product reviews)
> but there must be a thousand other mechanisms.

Nooo, none of these could possibly work. It's much better if a 40 year old
truck driver from Minnesota poses as a 22 year old transvestite beautician
from Arkansas with a $150,000 household income on a registration form. After
all, the most popular targeted advertising format in the world, Google's
AdSense, requires the user to fill out a registration form just before they
can see the page the ad's on, right? My my, what will they invent next?
:-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba