IA and Marketing Sneezers (was Re: [Sigia-l] Site registration

Andrew Boyd andrew at friendlymanual.com
Fri Aug 26 00:54:47 EDT 2005

Skot Nelson wrote:

> sure. but how do you then apply these solutions without asking for
> some form of registration?
>
> i've a very very clear understanding of how targeted marketing
> efforts are produced.
>
> the question here is how they get delivered in an online context,
> without the ability to observer behaviour, personas or scenarios.
>
> any targeted marketing effort is wasted if it's not delivered - and
> if it's properly designed, it's ideally delivered to the intended
> audience.

Hi Skot,

how do you deliver on any other design solution in a quantifiable
manner? Registration is one way of tracking users, but there are lots
lots more.

Here's a question for everyone that would provide a better answer than I
could give alone: How many ways are there of observing web application
user behaviour that do not involve voluntary registration? I can think
of a few direct ways (cookies for one) and a lot of indirect ways
(related sites and pages that track hit to "sale" ratios/channel
tracking, log analysis on unique IP addresses, analysis of helpdesk
tickets, anonymous feedback mechanisms such as "Guest" product reviews)
but there must be a thousand other mechanisms.

I am not saying that registration is useless :) What I am saying is that
registration is an option that should be used sparingly so as not to
aggrevate the sneezers who ultimately pay the bills.

Cheers, Andrew