[Sigia-l] first to market VS first to market right

Trenouth, John John.Trenouth at cardinal.com
Thu Aug 25 14:43:54 EDT 2005

I am currently working on redefining our company's new product
development process.  One of the sticky issues I'm running into during
conversations with marketing and engineering is the question of "first
to market" vs. "first to market right".

The answer will have a significant impact on the allocation of resources
and time for our design teams.

Of course I'm certain its not a simple black-and-white answer, so I am
interested in understanding under what circumstances each option could
be right, or wrong and why.

Does anyone here know of any solid research into this question? (and I'm
hoping to avoid anecdotal pundit answers like "look at the ipod, it
wasn't the first but now it owns its market).