[Sigia-l] Folksonomy on IT Conversations

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Aug 19 02:41:28 EDT 2005

Thomas Quine:

> I resent having to buy individual songs for 99 cents,

Yes, but you don't have a choice. Those prices are dictated by the labels
that own them and, if anything, they are desperately trying to raise them.

> that starts to rack up pretty fast, so I look for a service like emusic where
> I can get a bundle of songs for $9.99 per month or whatever.

Unfortunately, the 1-2 MM mainstream songs offered by the major labels are
not available there.

> And I recognize that with music or any other content, I don't know what
> I want until I hear it or experience it,

You touch on the critical part here. Right now either the illegal P2P market
or blogs/various community groups online serve the function of discovery of
new stuff. Labels should actually be thankful that this exists since their
'legitimate' medium of discovery, mainstream radio, is in a sad state. (The
thing I liked the most in the old Napster was the ability to peruse the hard
drive of another person directly to see what else he had. :-)

> By the way, these are to me the burning issues of information
> architecture

I agree. But wouldn't you rather talk about card sorting tricks? :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba