[Sigia-l] It's all about sex

Terrence Wood tdw at funkive.com
Sun Aug 14 16:40:07 EDT 2005

Trying to interpret the results of a research project through a press
release is a questionable business. I wonder what are the 23 factors
that the report measures? Is the so-called male aesthetic simply a
limitation of the medium, or the client?

Men and women are different. No surprise there. It's well known that
genders perceive color differently and it follows that color choice in
design differ. Think hunters and collectors.

Academia is a masculine institution. No surprise there. Does this mean
academia does not speak to it's audience? Possibly. Possibly it has
more to do with values attached to the design, and what the institutes
want to say about themselves, in the same way a blue chip organisation
does not publish it's annual report on white photocopy paper bound with
a plastic comb.

Rounded forms vs. grids. No surprises there. It is easier to deliver a
design using straight lines on the internet, and see the above comment.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.