[Sigia-l] IA with Flash sites

Ted Han notheory at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:33:30 EDT 2005

On 8/5/05, tessa <tessalis at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> on 08.04.2005 9:31 PM, Listera at listera at rcn.com wrote:
>
> > "Best practices" is what SOMEONE ELSE DID. Creativity is what YOU DO.
> >
> > Oil and vinegar.
> >
> > The ONLY issue in design is: does it solve the problem? Whether it's
> > experiential, creative, pedestrian, boring, revolutionary, etc., is
> > immaterial. Does it solve the problem? If we focus on that, the rest comes
> > very easily.
>

> Well said. Since I have been in the Flash-driven workplace, I have come to
> believe that it is truly dangerous to use "Best Practices". There is a lot
> of bad design, boring design and non-intuitive work being published these
> days - all in the name of "experiential sites". Raise the level of awareness
> of your colleagues and do a few audits of these sites.

While i agree w/ Ziya's sentiments, i still find the language on the
"best practices" issue to be rather strange.  Academics get to stand
on the shoulders of giants, but designers must invent without the
knowledge of those who work around them?

Best practices, when used as an excuse for laziness are probably bad
in general.  However, i for one, -do- want to know what others' best
practices are, just because i want to know how they function.  More
knowledge is more power.