[Sigia-l] is it just me, or is it really hard to find IAs

Linda Kolar lkolar at thinkinc.com
Fri Apr 1 11:37:36 EST 2005

Perhaps I wasn't clear. We HAVE tried to get outsourced IAs in at the
beginning of a project. We definitely DON'T think it is possible to just
create a site map in a vacuum, so to speak. But what we've encountered
with folks that have been doing freelance for awhile is an apparent lack
of interest in parking themselves in our environment and getting
involved the way the "in house" UEAs are involved.

I don't know whether it's just the specific individuals we've
encountered, or whether it's more a symptom of the freelance mentality,
in which people may get in the habit of being on their own to complete a
task, or even being the "one person shop" doing the initial strategy,
the architecture and sometimes even design/coding.

In other words, I completely agree with you. I was trying to state
exactly the same thing - that we've never been able to find a way to
"compartmentalize" IA nor do we believe it should be compartmentalized -
but added that the folks who were only interested in contract work (as
opposed to contract-to-hire) seemed to like to treat their role that way
(as a segmented element in the process).

- Linda