[Sigia-l] visual displays of information

Cynthia Ramlo cthorn at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 15 09:49:09 EDT 2004

What are some good examples of the use3 of multimedia to display such
information as, maps, timelines and other forms of informational graphics?

I have just begun a project where we are transforming some written texts
into a CD-ROM "concise" encyclopedia of cultural and historical
information and I am very interested in finding models / examples. I
imagine that most would be done in Flash or AfterEffects, but at this
stage am more interested in seeing how the information is displayed than
in which authoring tool was used.

Also, if anyone knows of examples of well-organized, attractive interfaces
for this type of project, I would also be interested in hearing about
them. At this stage it appears that we have a wealth of materials (images,
sound files, biographies, original source materials--i.e., army pension
materials for scouts, letters from Thomas Jefferson . . . ) and the
challenge will be in coming up with an information structure that will
make it accessible.

The project is creating these materials for a Native American group who
are interested in learning more about their past -- in case folks are
interested.

Thanks,
Cynthia Ramlo
Multimedia Developer
American Indian Studies Research Institute
Indiana University