[Sigia-l] "Social Interface"

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Fri Sep 10 21:06:56 EDT 2004

> From: Eric Scheid
>
> On 10/9/04 12:18 PM, "Boniface Lau"
> <boniface_lau at compuserve.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, what is a "software mediated social environment"? Consider
> > someone who closed the office door to signal to co-workers that
> > he/she didn't want to be interrupted. Without anyone beside, the
> > person then sat in front of a workstation to handle email. Is that
> > a "software mediated social environment"?

[...]
> Thus, a social environment which is *mediated* by software, not a
> social environment which exists in it's own right but just happens
> to have software involved (your example of an office environment
> with someone using email).

So, the environment in my example is not a "software mediated social
environment". Thus, according to what you'd said earlier:

ES> "Joel is using the term "social interface" as an abbreviation of
ES> "interface for a software mediated social environment"

"social interface" is not applicable.

Most people do not use email in a "software mediated social
environment". Typically, their environment happens to have software
involved, like in an office, sitting in a coffee shop, commuting, in
their home, etc. And yet, in Joel's article, email is one of those
software requiring "social interface".

Obviously, in Joel's article, "social interface" does NOT mean
"interface for a software mediated social environment".

Boniface