[Sigia-l] Pop-ups query

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 31 12:36:20 EST 2004

I recently ran into an extremely frustrating problem with blocked pop-ups on
a software ordering application I was using within the company I work
for--it turned out that the error messages *and* the confirmation messages
were being delivered via pop-up and that the confirmation message required
an acceptance in order for the order to be placed. There weren't really any
cues or affordances that clued me in that this was happening--I was under
the impression that I'd get an email confirmation (which is what would have
happened if I'd been able to accept the confirmation on the popup) and
actually went through the process unsuccessfully twice (with a call to the
help desk)--finally on the third try, and the second call to the help desk,
the tech asked if I had a popup blocker (google tool bar) and enlightened me
to the issue.

It was a real eye-opener; I had that classic user experience of not being
very surprised that there weren't more cues and confirmation to make me feel
confident in the process, since I've essentially become trained to expect
hard-to-use applications. (If this had been a retail site, the purchase
would never have happened--because it was internal and was the only way for
me to purchase the software, I was compelled to keep trying.)

Samantha Bailey | samantha at baileysorts.com
http://www.baileysorts.com