[Sigia-l] Pop-ups query

Dey Alexander deyalexander at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 08:21:19 EDT 2004

The interesting thing to see will be the reaction to the IE update
that gets installed as part of the WinXP SP2 upgrade.  By default, IE
will block pop-ups.

As to whether blocking pop-ups is a good or bad thing to do, the issue
for designers to note is that some users (a growing number, perhaps,
given the IE situation) do block pop-ups, either deliberately (because
they're sick of pop-up ads taking over their browser) of unwittingly
(in the IE upgrade case). The best way to handle this is to tell the
user in advance that the link they're about to click will open in a
pop-up, and of course, to use pop-ups only when they support the
user's interaction with your site (for help screens, for instance).

Cheers,
Dey