[Sigia-l] RE: Google desktop search now available

Elizabeth Fuller ZilF at leapinliz.com
Mon Oct 18 14:19:12 EDT 2004

Boniface Lau wrote:
  > Windows 2000 and XP already come bundled with a local search facility

 > known as Index Server. People don't have to do anything to get it
 > running because it is enabled by default.

I'd never heard of Index Server (and I do run XP), so I looked it up on
Microsoft's site.  Here's the description:

 >  Microsoft® Index Server is integrated with Microsoft Internet
Information Server (IIS) and the Windows NT® Server 4.0 operating system
to allow Web searching on corporate intranets and Internet sites.

 > Once installed, it automatically builds an index of your Web server
that can be easily searched from any Web browser with the sample query
forms. Indexing maps words to documents, and to locations within documents.

Doesn't sound at all the same as Google Desktop (it does Web server,
Intranet and Internet searches, not desktop searches), and as part of
IIS, it's not automatically installed with WinXP.

Liz