[Sigia-l] Amazon redesign

Thomas Vander Wal vanderwal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:05:14 EDT 2004

It seems that you have one of their design tests.  My account and
viewing the site with out it knowing me both show the previous design
(much like the plog view that appeared and then disappeared).  Amazon
does a lot of testing and gathers a tremendous amount of data, on
which they run analytics every which way.

The gold box started as a test that really caught on.  Over time
Amazon morphs gently and sometimes more drastically.

The text for links up top could be following the trend other sites
have been using to reduce images and move to more standards-based
HTML. Yahoo is going in this direction as have many other sites
(http://www.chevrolet.com did this recently and save an on bandwidth
and had a much faster loading site that still provides great
experience).

All the best,
Thomas