[Sigia-l] IA research?

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Mon Nov 29 21:07:33 EST 2004

> From: Natasja Paulssen
>
> This is my definition of the difference between data and
> information: data is meant to be handled by machines, information is
> meant to be read by people.

The term "data" is typically used as a form-independent reference.
There are machine-readable data (what you call "data") and
human-readable data (what you call "information"). For example,
database designers consider, among other things, how data will be
stored (machine-readable data) and used (human-readable data).

If I understand you correctly, database addresses both "data" and
"information".

Boniface