[Sigia-l] Kano Analysis

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Sat Nov 20 21:51:17 EST 2004

> From: Eric Scheid
>
> >> The designer can take a guess as to which features will produce
> >> satisfaction, but without some feedback from the users (eg. KA
> >
> > ISTM you are confusing KA with user feedback.
>
> Well, KA is one method for getting feedback from users

Well, you are wrong. User feedback is data; KA can analyze the data.
But if you do not have the data (user feedback) prior to starting KA,
you still do not have those data (user feedback) after completing KA.

KA is not a method for getting user feedback.

> on a collection of features. There are other methods of getting
> feedback. I said "eg.", not "ie.".
>
> If KA is not an example of "feedback", what would you call it?

KA is an example of data analysis.

> KA was specifically developed by Dr. Noriaki Kano of Tokyo Rika
> University for evaluating features*.

As you yourself pointed out in the footnote below, even the KA
literature uses the term "requirements" to describe what KA is about.

But you chose to insist that KA is about features. Did it ever occur
to you that you might be wrong?

[...]
> * if you read the literature you might see these features referred
> to as "requirements", but then when the literature goes on to
> provide examples they are all features or attributes,

I am not sure what you are referring to. Care to quote from the
materials and may be give us the links?

Boniface