[Sigia-l] translating taxonomies

Peter Van Dijck peter at poorbuthappy.com
Mon Nov 8 05:04:14 EST 2004

Listera wrote:

> Do you foresee a difference between translation and translation of
> taxonomies?

Yes. Tranlation is complex enough as it is, but translating taxonomies
is worse. In a taxonomy, every label has been carefully crafted. In a
classic translation you don't translate word for word - it's a creative
profession and the translator's job is to translate the meaning of what
is being said. You can see how translating a taxonomy (consisting of
individual words/labels) can be difficult. Some words change meaning in
translation. Some categories are hard to translate. I'm trying to get a
good understanding of the issues, but yes, I expect there to be a
difference between these 2 types of translation.

Peter

Peter