[Sigia-l] IA for non-web based projects

Pradyot Rai prai at prady.com
Fri May 14 13:23:26 EDT 2004

"Jonas Höglund" wrote -

> For me, my role at IKEA (I'm the only IA at IKEA and I've only been here
> for a year) is to make sure that our customers has the information needed,
> whenever, where ever. In the store, on the web, in the catalogue or in
> other medias. This is not true today and IKEA has not done a very good
> job in this
> area. But I see big potantials for IKEA in the future if we become better
> in
> creating customer centered communication/information. Then the customer
> can do even more self-service tasks than today.

I am wondering how IKEA managed this without help from IA, prior to you.
If my memory serves, I am visiting IKEA since 5-6 years and always found a
consistant trend (related to the one described) all across - as signage
system, posters, print, catalogues, packaging, etc. There should have been
some group who designed and managed it (?). I am also wondering what new
value addition you bring to this from IA?

On the same subject, I think the design challenge has always been to use
the readable fonts for navigation, use the colors appropriately, label
words that makes sense and plan the whole 3D space accordingly.
Conventionaly this involved Graphic Designers, Font Designers, Space
planning Architects and professional, etc. This also involved complecated
issues of branding, corporate identity, etc. I am wondering what you are
doing differently here to made a difference by calling yourself IA?

Please don't get me wrong, I want to understand IA's venture into
everything that was done by somebody else in past? I want to see what
*new* value we are creating by your role.

Best Regards,

Pradyot Rai