[Sigia-l] IA for non-web based projects

Jonas H ö glund jonas at swatdesign.com
Fri May 14 03:17:54 EDT 2004

I’m working for the Swedish home furnishing company IKEA as an IA, at the
subsidery IKEA Communications. IKEA is distributing the worlds largest
printed material (around 130 million copies). We have aproximatly 180 stores
around the globe, stores where it’s all about self-service, allowing the
customer to do as much as possible of the buying process.

For me, my role at IKEA (I’m the only IA at IKEA and I’ve only been here for a
year) is to make sure that our customers has the information needed,
whenever, where ever. In the store, on the web, in the catalogue or in other
medias. This is not true today and IKEA has not done a very good job in this
area.  But I see big potantials for IKEA in the future if we become better in
creating customer centered communication/information. Then the customer
can do even more self-service tasks than today.

One of the buzz phrases at IKEA is ”You do your part. We do our part.  We
both save money”. I think that providing the right information for the
customer, to allow her to understand our offer, is a key element of what ”we
have to do”, to let the customer ”do their part”.

So I think my role as an IA at IKEA goes way beyond the web.

/jonas