[Sigia-l] IA for non-web based projects

Peter Merholz peterme at peterme.com
Thu May 13 10:57:30 EDT 2004

> - Do you produce projects in different media? (web, disc, video, film,
> print)
> - Which media do you produce in?
> - What are the barriers to you from producing in different media?
> (technical knowledge, linear vs. non-linear thinking, job class, etc.)
> - Why would this be desirable to you?
> - Why don't more people do this?
> - Does big IA apply to all media?
> - If so, why isn't this discussed more?

I think these are interesting questions, and I've appreciated the
answers.

However, there's a key element of IA that has been missing from the
media discussion. Namely, "the user". From what I know of media
production, apart from testing with audiences after something has been
produced, there's little input from "users." I've never heard of a
user-centered media process, where themes, concepts, scripts,
storyboards, etc., are somehow "tested" on users.

The thing to keep in mind about IA, and, well, any user experience
method, is that they are as rooted in product design methods as they
are in media methods. In fact, you could argue that our work is a
hybrid of the two.

--peter