[Sigia-l] IA for non-web based projects

O'Neill, Todd todd.oneill at usaa.com
Thu May 13 10:12:59 EDT 2004

Thanks Robert. Many of them are using AE, but probably not to its full
power.

The "HR" culture in business today is so much about specialization. But
in media communications (my catch all bucket for the electronic media
user experience) at least, IMHO, the trend should be toward wide and
medium depth generalization. By creating specialized craft silos the
level of team communication MUST rise (inefficient) and the whole silo
mentality means that no ONE person really knows what is going on in the
project (ineffective.)

As you read I came to IA/UI by a slightly different path than you, but
it's the diversity of my background that makes me valuable, not my
specialization. I can bring ALL my experience and knowledge to bear on a
project, even though in some areas it may be shallow to medium depth.
I've gotten quite a few "Oh, we never thought of thats" over the years
that always affected (or had the ability to affect) projects in a good
way.

I love your IM story. I have a few good "video" friends in Atlanta. I'll
have to ask them about it. I vaguely remember reading something about
it.

Maybe while you're in town we can get together for lunch to chat shop,
without talking about our individual "shops".

Later!

Todd O'Neill Web Producer USAA Interaction Design and Architecture
210-913-8312 todd.oneill at usaa.com
These opinions mine not those of USAA.
"The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer." Peter
Drucker