[Sigia-l] Info on splash pages and flash movie intros

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed May 5 05:00:34 EDT 2004

"Chris Chandler" wrote:

> Personally, I want to maximize the chances that someone will see what
> they're looking for when they come to the site, and I think an Intro
> works against that.

Sometimes a picture is worth 784 words and a Flash animation 2,368.

There are lots of sites (especially technology sites or ones that are
introducing brand new concepts/processes/products) that benefit enormously
from displaying their principal product/service front and center in full
animation, with a relatively small amount of supporting text/nav, if any.
The user might not have the inclination, patience or the savvy to navigate
several pages to reach the "content." The single "Intro" page serves
multiple purposes and imparts the maximum amount of info in a limited space,
for the navigationally or temporally challenged. Like so:

<http://clip-n-seal.com/>

Often the notion here is that those who will end up entering the site
through this "Intro" page are walk-ins, the least informed about the
offerings of the site and the most in need of a quick and potent doze of
introduction. More focused content can then be separately channeled via
direct links to other "Inside" pages.

Like most things in IA/design, it depends.

----
Ziya

Architecture is politics.