[Sigia-l] education: being an IA

Chris Chandler chrischandler67 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 30 03:08:33 EST 2004

"BJ Cook" wrote:

> Is it
> necessary to get a degree in order to break into IA or am I going
about this
> wrong? Do you need to be certified to gain a position as an IA?

Hi BJ,

No, you don't need an HCI or MLIS or any other degree to break into the
field.

You may need to accept a junior position, or, if you're drawn to the
field because of your experiences as a new media developer you may have
enough work samples to talk yourself into an IA position. As we like to
say around here, "it depends."

That being said, you may have good reasons to want to go back to school,
and re-focusing your career by getting a degree in HCI or Information
Studies (or lots of other related fields!) is a perfectly decent
strategy.

-cc