[Sigia-l] Sanity Check, part 2: citations of "user centered metadata"

MK Taylor snufkin_mkt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 13:56:28 EST 2004

Wow - thanks to everybody who responded. I'm
definitely trying to look at it from both the library
and non-library perspectives because not all of the
digital content we manage is strictly
library/archives. So we've already talked a little
about faceted metadata and Flamenco. And I used to
work for MSN Search where we had to manually create
all sorts of keywords for the search result records
based on what turned up in the search log. But that
kind of hands-on method of classification is pretty
labor intensive. And I've heard they're going more
into a Google or data mining approach in the past
year.

And this is the definition (thank you Jake) that I'll
probably use:

"If you ask me, there is no such thing as
user-centered metadata, but rather just plain old
metadata that facilitates the increased demand for
user-centered 'features and tools to help people
interactively mine data, generate patterns, and
conduct analysis on data'."

Anyhow, my thanks again to everybody who responded to
my initial request. It's been asked that I write up
some kind of summary of what's been discussed here, so
I'd be more than happy to do it. As well as pass on
anything else I might find that specifically talks
about 'user centered metadata.'

-mary