[Sigia-l] the point-of-whatever-ness

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 22 07:50:55 EDT 2004

Hi Jason,

I will ask my team to ponder your question, as we deal regularly with long
forms that require many of the fields to be answered and will let you know
what they suggest. In the meantime, we've done quite a bit of evaluation
regarding points of abandonment on long forms in an attempt to determine
what caused the user to drop out of the process at a given point--especially
at a point where they had invested significant energy.

One theory we had was that they were hitting a point where they needed to
provide information that they wouldn't readily have on had (e.g., spouse's
SSN). We added a "before you begin" page that indicated how long the form
usually takes to fill out and all the required information and that cut down
on abandonments at some of the places where we had theorized people didn't
have the info. they needed.

Another thing we've learned along the way is that a lot of people do their
banking from work, when they're away from home/files/spouse--that
contributes to the lack of info. situation described above, but it also
suggests that people may be doing forms in an environment where they're
likely to be interupted or literally not have the time to complete the form
(obviously these are also scenarios that commonly occur at home--the phone
rings, pot boils over, etc). This has led us to look at ways to introduce a
save/return later functionality into long forms. Being able to return to an
important form may encourage users to complete a form that could otherwise
be abandoned.

There's no question that the "smart" approach you mention is critical--when
you can do it; we often run into the issue where our back-end systems are
maintained by a different group, operating under different deadlines and
when we propose changes that we think are necessary we're told we can't
change the flow, because it would require too much programming/take too
long. If you're building from scratch,  you won't have that problem, of
course.

I'll encourage folks on my team who have worked on these issues to respond
to your question as well.

Samantha Bailey