[Sigia-l] the point-of-whatever-ness

Jason jason31 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 21 22:25:18 EDT 2004

hello,

i have recently been building and testing an online mortgage
application and have come across an interesting question. Has anyone
done any research that identifies the point in a person's filling out a
form where they just start filling in the minimum in order to get the
thing done? When does someone just start clicking "C, C, C, C, etc." in
order to get to the end? It can apply to big long forms or even surveys.

There are two aspects that i would love to ponder:
1. Ways to determine the problem - is it based entirely on each
individual user? Is there a word for this threshold? Any ways to
determine it?
2. Ways to solve it - Any ideas on ways to avoid it?

one means by which we are dealing with this very long, multi-page form,
is to try to make it as smart as possible. I mean, based on responses
to earlier questions, not showing information that is not needed. Like
"do you have a co-borrower?" indicating "no" eliminates the need for
much of the form so we hide it. Testing has shown this to reduce the
"point-of-whatever-ness"

Thanks,

Jason Pryslak