[Sigia-l] The category of "Miscellaneous"

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Tue Jun 15 23:34:01 EDT 2004

This blanket statement depends on context as well.  The world isn't
broken up into two types of people. If anything, it is broken into two
types of task. Some sites and tasks suit known item finding where
searching is an appropriate method, some suit unknown item finding where
browsing is an appropriate method.  I'd be silly to browse to a book
that I know the title of on Amazon, and silly to do a keyword search for
a French chocolate cake recipe on epicurious. In many cases, a
combination of approach is appropriate.

This isn't just the information architect in me. I have seen this in
user research and usability testing as well...It is actually something
that you need to be very careful with in usability testing. The act of
writing out a scenario can change it into a known-item find instead of
an unknown, and people may search rather than their more natural browse.
But that's another story...

donna

--

Donna Maurer