[Sigia-l] IA and semiotics

Arjun Sabharwal arjun.sabharwal at baker.edu
Wed Jun 9 08:30:33 EDT 2004

Hello,

This is an interesting topic, but unless a new definition of
semiotics is to be proposed, one must consider that this
discipline has been created to study the process of
communication via signs between a producer (the one who
sends) and a perceiver (the one who receives, analyzes, and
interprets).  Otherwise, there is also a related field
called semiology, which is the study of signs -- at least to
my understanding -- used in a communication process, and
perhaps SEMANTICS.  I was also thinking of proxemics, which
has been in practice to study the use of space in power
structures, but it would require a re-definition if it were
to be applied to cyberspace.

Best,

Arjun Sabharwal
Arjun Sabharwal