[Sigia-l] Open Source Usability -- curable?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Jul 23 21:42:45 EDT 2004

Ilan Volow:

> Maybe it's time for IxD/Usability/IA/whatever people disillusioned with
> Open Source to organize in some kind of way. Something to begin the
> process of us standing up for ourselves and chipping away at that
> power. Perhaps start with something simple, like a wiki or an Orkut
> group or an irc channel. Something to get people talking.

You mean like Clarux? :-)

I totally agree with the sentiment, but let's not beat up on OSS developers
in isolation. Programmer-driven development approach is rampant in the
enterprise world as well. What needs to change is the non-UCD approach,
wherever it rears its ugly head. Limiting it to OSS would dilute the message
and partially obscure the problem.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba