[Sigia-l] Open Source Usability -- curable?

Peter Trudelle trudelle at adobe.com
Wed Jul 21 15:59:43 EDT 2004

Good luck.  In most open source projects I'm aware of, all power flows
from the output of a compiler.  The only hope of adding significant
design, usability or even engineering for that matter, is to convince
the people doing the coding that it is either necessary or fun. There is
a lot of education to be done about what design is (they think more in
terms of the design of the code), and why to make the products usable,
and for whom, and how.  Currently, their main focus in this regard seems
to be on documented standard guidelines for UI, usually per platform. I
think this is because it is easy to agree on compliance, although such
guidelines are obviously not sufficient to ensure good design and
usability.   Projects have little or no incentive to devote much effort
to these issues for their current target users, and huge dis-incentive
to alienate programmers, whose code is the life blood of the project.
If any progress is to be made, it will be one developer at a time,
although you might be able to attract some developers to some cool new
project you start with a focus on UCD.

Peter