[Sigia-l] Getting More Users to Register

Cindy Alvarez cindy at cindyalvarez.com
Wed Jul 7 17:04:19 EDT 2004

>>You are asking a community of IAs and user-centered designers whose
>>interest should come first, yours or the users'?
>
> No, I am asking a community of IA's and UCD's which way best meets both
> business objectives and user requirements.

Other people have already clearly communicated why registration first
doesn't meet user requirements.  If the *end goal* of the business
objectives is to gather information, then registration first would best
meet business objectives.

However, a) fewer users are likely to register without a good reason, and
b) users who fill out a registration form and then feel that their effort
was wasted are unlikely to look positively upon the company in question.
If the business goals involve using that information in any way (sales
leads, focus groups, etc.), then getting registrations under duress is
unlikely to further those goals.

Cindy Alvarez