[Sigia-l] Right Side Navigation

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Wed Jul 7 06:12:18 EDT 2004

Although I don't think a discussion of my blog furthers our understanding of the usbility
of right nav, I just can't avoid commenting on a couple of posts, and show my
ignorance of a few things in the process ;)

On 6 Jul 2004 at 21:00, Boniface Lau wrote:

> When your blog page is displayed inside a window not much wider than
> that of the pictures in the blog entries, the navigation bar will get
> pushed out of the window right border and be invisible.
>
> > What does the browser rendering direction have to do with anything?
>
> It affects the handling of horizontal overflow. With left-to-right,
> overflow are pushed towards the right. Thus, as in your blog page, the
> right navigation bar is the first victim of overflow. However with
> right-to-left, the right navigation bar won't be the first overflow
> victim because overflow are pushed towards the left.

Isn't this due to how I've created my template and CSS? My template has a content div
first, with a navigation div floating to the right of it. If the template had the navigation
div first and the content div floating to the left, wouldn't the navigation be primary and
the content break? I'm not expert with CSS, so am genuinely not sure...

Given that something may have to break at some point, I'd prefer to break the nav and
not break the content - at least that way the 'good stuff' is still usable.

On 6 Jul 2004 at 20:28, Russ Unger wrote:

> I minimized her blog to go down to the smallest size possible without
> any l-r scrolling.  That was at 696 pixels wide--and if she made a
> conscious decision based upon some sort of factual or personal
> preference that she wanted to support a minimum of 800x600, then she has
> managed to fall within that range.

Usually, my blog scales down much better - it's a basic 70% content, 30% navigation. I
happen to have photos there at the moment that are 300px wide, so it is 'breaking'
sooner than usual. Bad example for me to chime in with ;)

Donna

--
Donna Maurer
blog: http://maadmob.net/donna/blog/