[Sigia-l] comparison research and examples of such tools

Karl Groves kgroves at nasafcu.com
Wed Jan 21 12:13:57 EST 2004

I can't recall seeing any research on the number of items to compare.
What I have seen are recommendations about the quality of the comparison.
NNGroup's "E-Commerce User Experience" has a section on search results and product comparison.
pg. 147 - "Provide a way to compare the details of similar items", goes on to mention that one-to-one comparisons are useless if the details compared aren't relevant or significant.
pg 148 - "Let customers choose the products to be compared", and uses an example of Sears.com which first lists all items returned via search and then allows the user to compare the results that are displayed.
Additionally, it makes mention of the fact that like items should be compared via like criteria.

I think available screen real estate would be more of a limiting factor to the number of products that can be compared, than information overload...

-Karl