[Sigia-l] Site mapping utility

Eric Reiss elr at e-reiss.com
Thu Jan 15 04:35:49 EST 2004

Sean,

Although Scott's suggestions are great if you need code for your
site, I suspect this is not what you want.

You asked about PowerMapper, which is still one of the best programs
around for creating a graphical map of an existing website. It was
sold by www.electrum.co.uk/mapper, but now the url is
http://www.powermapper.com/

There are two versions, a stripped down home version at about a
hundred dollars and a professional version for about 300 which
provides a little more flexibility in terms of scaling maps to fit
paper and similar features. To be honest, the Standard version will
do the job 95% of the time.

One of the biggest improvements occurred about a year ago when the
program incorporated the ability to map sites based on multiple
servers. This is now part of the Standard package (actually the old
v. 2.0 Pro).

I've tested the program against sites that I have architected myself,
and thus have my own maps with which to compare the results.
Powermapper generally does a good job.

Hope this helps,
Eric

-----------------------
eric reiss
principal
e-reiss aps
copenhagen, denmark
http://www.e-reiss.com
office: (+45) 39 29 67 77
mobile: (+45) 20 12 88 44

and/or privileged material. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.