[Sigia-l] Usability Profession Increasingly Under Scrutiny?

Lord, Ralph rsl3 at cdc.gov
Tue Jan 13 11:32:46 EST 2004

Mitchell quoted:
> Is this one kind of failure you're thinking of?
>
> "The Yankee Group...found that 30 percent of all recently
> introduced home
> networking products sold today were returned because the
> consumer could not
> get them to work."

Actually, no, that's not the kind of failure I THINK the other survey
results were talking about (the 20% on-time/on-budget and over 60%
failure rate).  The 20/60 (my shorthand) surveys are usually done with
corporate IT departments at largish firms and are looking at the
development of IT systems for the corporation.  They are not usually
looking at consumer products and their success rate in the marketplace.

It's two different things entirely.  One is looking at why big software
development projects fail (by being over-time, over-budget or not
solving the business problem) the other is talking about a product that
didn't fare well with users.

Ralph Lord