[Sigia-l] Usability Profession Increasingly Under Scrutiny?

Mitchell Gass mitchell at participatorydesign.com
Tue Jan 13 11:02:38 EST 2004

At 07:16 AM 1/13/2004, Lord, Ralph wrote:
> > ...over 60% of IT projects fail...
>...And of those projects that failed, "usability" could have prevented
>about 0.087% of them...

Is this one kind of failure you're thinking of?

"The Yankee Group...found that 30 percent of all recently introduced home
networking products sold today were returned because the consumer could not
get them to work."

At a very large firm I worked for, a series of diagnostic usability tests
allowed us to improve the success rate for initial installation of a home
networking router from less than 25% to over 90%. The total cost for the
testing and changes was in the tens of thousands of dollars; the result
could easily have saved millions of dollars in lost sales and support costs.

The quote, by the way, is from coverage of a speech at this week's Consumer
Electronics Show by the chief executive of Philips:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=749&e=2&u=/nm/20040110/bs_nm/tech_philips_dc

Some other excerpts:

"The first guiding principle should be that the consumer always comes
first. If a product requires a manual, maybe it's too complex."

"Overall, I think we need to employ more anthropologists and fewer
technologists."

Mitchell Gass
uLab | PDA: Learning from Users | Designing with Users
Berkeley, CA 94707 USA
+1 510 525-6864 voice
+1 510 525-4246 fax
http://www.participatorydesign.com/