[Sigia-l] Usability Profession Increasingly Under Scrutiny?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Jan 12 16:08:09 EST 2004

"Jon Nakasone" wrote:

> A colleague complained to me recently that the perception of the usability
> profession among some of his co-workers (various departments) is that it was
> accessible to anyone who has a bookshelf full of related books.

Well, isn't it? :-)

Isn't that what all the 'standards/rules' are for? For the sake of easily
replaceable corporate cogs we reduce the whole craft to 87 standards/rules
plus 9 charts, publish them in a paperback, a dash of cayenne and, presto,
instant 'usability.' Of course, the book comes in various languages since
the job has already been outsourced.

> ...our work is seen by some as lacking in measurable credibility.

I bet by the same people who wouldn't think twice about according
credibility to, say, MBAs, accountants, managers and VCs, who gave us the
trillion-dollar dotcom bill, but, hey, who's counting.

> Our work is based on research, analysis and data. how can similar data help to
> validate our profession?

When you play with other peoples' rules, mostly, you lose.

----
Ziya

Design is how it works.