Hiring Practices was RE: [Sigia-l] Testing Designer's Skills

Johnson, Bryce BryceJ at navantis.com
Sun Jan 11 14:28:30 EST 2004

"Pradyot Rai" wrote:

> Is there any theory, framework to test designers' aptitude for
> IA/ID/UX kind of job positions?

Sometimes we give people take home tests. One example is that I'll email
interface developer candidates an image of a simple page and ask them to
code it. Our QA department gives people a simple use case and them asks
them to write a test case for it. I find it extremely helpful, so
helpful that I'm trying to decide if I should do this before I
interview. I have never had a candidate that refused to do tests. I feel
that if the first round of interviewing was easier on me I could engage
more people. So instead of getting a hundred CVs and only calling a half
a dozen of them for interviews I could quickly phone interview and email
test more people, the first face-to-face meeting would actually be the
second round of interviews.

I haven't done this yet and I realize that this maybe asking a lot out
of candidates but currently I am "circular filling" 90% of the submitted
CVs without an interview and that is kinda horrible too. I'd appreciate
people thoughts on this.

I realize that is not what you are asking for but if you are comfortable
with giving people take home tests we have found them to be useful.

Bryce