[Sigia-l] Can UI designers kill people?

Patrick Neeman pat at nexisinteractive.com
Fri Jan 9 18:53:13 EST 2004

> I don't say that to disparage engineers but simply to note
> that one of the reasons they do their job well where I would
> not is that they tend to see the world differently.  None of
> them would have any desire to design a start-to-end user
> experience on their own, but are happy to contribute ideas
> when I bring up UI concerns: "well, if I'm a user and see the
> page in that situation, I might fear that you lost all my
> data."  Sometimes they have great ideas!  (and sometimes not,
> but that's why we have an interaction designer to sort them
> out and oversee the whole process.)
>
> Cindy Alvarez
> ------------

...i absluately agree with you, because software developers can be end users
too.

What I'm saying (and this is a discussion I have had many times because my
signifcant other is a software developer) is that many software developers
are indifferent about the concepts of user interface design, and there has
to be values instilled into them that at the end of the day, they are
developing a solution that has to be used by users, and that while system
architecture is cool and needed, user interface issues are much more
suspectible to cause issues with software than system architecture issues.

Just my two cents.

P@