[Sigia-l] Can UI designers kill people?

Patrick Neeman pat at nexisinteractive.com
Fri Jan 9 14:15:53 EST 2004

Some people may not agree with the next statement:

Before the web (and there are a lot of us that had jobs other than tech
before the web), I was editor of a community paper in Southern California.
We had a couple of copy editors that were older, worked with us. We got on
the topic talking about Journalism degrees, and the copy editor's degree was
in Finance. He stated that many of the universities where he went to school
(United Kingdom) didn't have Journalism degrees because the academics felt
you shouldd be knowledgable in an area of study, not just a skill.

Programming, UI design, IA Design, etc. are skills, and in many companies,
sometimes there is a need to combine skills of a couple of these because the
company and/or department are so small, and I personally feel that many
programmers should be skilled in UI design, to realize how their solutions
function in real world environments, and how to design as such. People whose
skill sets are in silos may be good for specialized situations and large
teams, but most of us aren't working in large teams, I would suppose.

P@