[Sigia-l] External link to Intranet

Thomas Vander Wal thomas at vanderwal.net
Fri Jan 9 11:19:17 EST 2004

I have been requested to place a link from the public facing Internet
site to the organization's Intranet.  I have seen this on many
organization's sites in the past, but have not been able to find one or
many to reference for my client.

The location of the link on the homepage is what is important at this
point.  I remember seeing two patterns of location: prominent navigation
bars (top or side); and bottom of the homepage.  Are their others that
have some sense of normative use?  Is there location research on this niche?

Yes, we are placing this link on the front page (not an option as it is
a political decision).  Yes, we understand there is a strong
understanding of the invitation this provides to those that are not
authorized to still attempt to gain access.  I am not interested in
remarks along these lines as I have presented them to the client and
they are signing off on the risks.

All the best,
Thomas Vander Wal