[Sigia-l] Can UI designers kill people?

Lord, Ralph rsl3 at cdc.gov
Thu Jan 8 11:32:20 EST 2004

You're right, more capable BUT more complex.

And the even MORE interesting thing IMHO is how while the computers are flying (or operating whatever kind of complex system) the humans can get so tuned out to what's going on that when something does go wrong, oftentimes it takes them a long time to get "up to speed" on the situation and correct it.  So sometimes the systems are designed to require periodic or ongoing low-level input from the humans just to keep them involved and aware of any parameters that may be creeping towards an out-of-bounds state.

Ralph Lord
System Analyst
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems
770.234.6562