[Sigia-l] RE: tenets, principles, standards

david_fiorito at vanguard.com david_fiorito at vanguard.com
Thu Jan 8 09:41:01 EST 2004

Scott,

You said:  "i don't think you'll ever define Information Architecture as
it's own role on all but the largest projects"

Fine by me.  In small teams a single person can be the project manager,
programmer, IA, and designer.  I recognize that and welcome it but my
world is the world of the large project and all of these Braveheartesque
speeches about freedom from definition do not help in organizations like
Vanguard.  Here the projects are big and complex and the people that work
on them rarely have more than a single well defined role.

For this discipline to move forward we need to dump the Swiss Army Knife,
Cowboy, Renaissance Man image and become a discipline with a focused skill
set used to meet a specific need.  In smaller companies there will be
people who integrate IA with their other skills but why should that stop
us from building a clear definition of what Information Architecture is
and what it is not?

Cheers,

Dave

Scott Nelson <scott at penguinstorm.com>