[Sigia-l] RE: tenets, principles, standards

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Wed Jan 7 22:26:35 EST 2004

On 8/1/04 8:43 AM, "david_fiorito at vanguard.com" <david_fiorito at vanguard.com>
wrote:

> I agree that practice standards should not be unified across "our
> discipline" but there seems to be a great level of resistance to even
> defining "our discipline".

I'm interested in working at that definition from the bottom up.

Case in point: someone asked what a "closed card sort" is. A quick google
turned up a short list of relevant pages, but it's taken me almost two hours
to thoroughly go through the lot. I could have stopped after the first page
or two, which were glossary style references, but then I wouldn't have
discovered something much more interesting. Those glossary entries are
deficient, and we would be better served with a slightly more expanded
definition text.

So what is a "closed card sort" - the two hour version is to go trawl
google. The two minute version is to read a revised/clarified definition. We
should be working towards writing these "definitions", so as to obviate the
need for extensive literature reviews.

I'm still writing my notes, so, no, I don't have the two minute version yet.

    http://IAwiki.net/ClosedCardSort

e.