[Sigia-l] Richard Saul Wurman: The InfoDesign interview

Ruth Kaufman ruth at ruthkaufman.com
Sun Jan 4 16:02:56 EST 2004

> WI> Information design was epitomized by which map looked the best -
> WI> not which took care of a lot of parallel systemic parts. That is
> WI> what I thought 'architecture' did and was a clearer word that had
> WI> to do with systems that worked and performed.

My $0.02:
I agree that 'information architecture' deals more with systems than
with images, a vector more than a raster view, if you will; but I
disagree with Wurman's characterization of 'information design'. Maps,
as maps, ought not judged by their aesthetics. I would argue that
cartography is epitomized by which map signifies the best. We're not
talking about wallpaper or screen savers. Maps, charts, graphs, tables
and the like are not (usually) created for viewing pleasure, but are
vehicles for information. They need not "look good" any more than they
need sound or taste good. They do, however, need to mean something, and
the quality of a map can be measured by its effectiveness in imparting
the information with which its markings have been imbued.

Happy new year!
Ruth