[Sigia-l] Buzzwords (was microcontent - a definition?)

Tanya Rabourn tanya at pixelcharmer.com
Mon Feb 16 12:32:18 EST 2004

> celebrity blogger and VC. VCs are about as up-to-the-minute on
> buzzwords as
> anyone on the web terrain. They chase buzzwords, they help create them
> and
> then cash in on them. You do the (rest of the) math. Personally, I
> don't

This discussion reminded me of an essay I read a few months ago. In his
essay for "the biology of business,"[1] Brook Manville gives an
interesting take on knowledge management and buzzwords. If I understand
him correctly, he claims that he found the traditional means of
maintaining an enterprise taxonomy inadequate for knowledge discovery
for their intranet since their field relied on inventing buzzwords to
market. Using traditional methods seemed to give weight to terms that
had been reified. However, it was the loosely defined, poorly
understood buzzwords that were their commerce.

On the whole I was pretty disappointed with the description of his
solution, but it's an interesting problem to think about.

1. pgs. 89-111 "Complex Adaptive Knowledge Mangagement, A Case from
McKinsey & Company"

-Tanya