[Sigia-l] Lack of Opportunities for IA

Abbe Don abbe at abbedon.com
Fri Feb 6 13:24:43 EST 2004

I have the best source for Bay Area job listings at the junior and
mid-career level to be the BAYCHI job mailing list. It's put together
by the Bay Area chapter of SIGCHI. I have also found it a reasonable
resource when I was in a position to recruit; however, word of mouth
tended to be the ultimate source of the candidates that I hired. BAYCHI
membership is $10/year. You can find more info at http://www.baychi.org

One of the best opportunities that I know about for recent graduates at
either the undergrad or graduate level is corporate internships. Don't
be put off by the word internship as many of the large corporations pay
their interns. I was in the master's program at the Interactive
Telecommunication program at NYU when I did my summer internship at
Apple Computer and it really launched my career. It's a great learning
opportunity and unlike stories I've heard about the film and publishing
business, interns do real work at software companies, not just get
coffee for people. Check into programs at places like Apple, Hewlett
Packard, and Microsoft.

Finally, you might find more "birds of a feather" at the ACTLab in the
Dept. of Radio, Television, and Film at University of Texas.
http://www.actlab.utexas.edu

Hope this is helpful,
Abbe