[Sigia-l] Lack of Opportunities for IA

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 6 09:05:07 EST 2004

That does sound like a very demoralizing experience! A lot of other folks on
the list have already given good advice around networking, etc. but I just
wanted to add that being a new graduate is a very stressful
situation--you've just spent two+ years gaining all these new skills that
are supposed to make you employable and you probably have student loans;
either way you're likely sick of living like a student and are ready for a
steady income. The stress leads to wanting to get things resolved right away
and I think it can make it seem like there are fewer opportunities than
there really are.

This is a niche field, so there aren't going to be hundreds of jobs, and you
may have to start with something that isn't exactly what you'd hoped for,
but if you are persistent you *will* find work in this field. I'd recommend
that you be systematic in your search; but also realistic--plan for the
"long haul"; professional job searches routinely take 6 months and can take
much longer. You may need to do something in the interim to put bread on the
table while you search for your "real" job. If that turns out to be the
case, look for "pro bono" or volunteer opportunities where you can do IA so
that you can speak with conviction in your interviews. (When I graduated
with my MILS I took a job in something of a panic mode only to discover it
was a really bad fit--and I had to start the job search all over again. Even
though it seemed like a disaster at the time (and I felt like an idiot) the
next job I found was a much better fit.)

Good luck!

Samantha Bailey
samantha at baileysorts.com | http://baileysorts.com