[Sigia-l] Lack of Opportunities for IA

Kevin Cheng kevin at illusiondesigns.net
Thu Feb 5 18:12:34 EST 2004

Leonard >>
I just had a very unpleasant experience at a job fair and led me to wonder
if there's really any job opportunities out there for IA people despite all
the assurances we hear in the classes.
<<

Having just started a job board that simply monitors job postings out there,
I've noticed in the past two weeks alone about 30-40 jobs posted around the
United States in areas of IA and usability. Unfortunately, a lot of them do
seem to require prior experience but then I've never seen a job posting that
said "no experience required" so you have to take job requirements with a
grain of salt.

You may also want to look into the IA Summit in Austin if you aren't doing
so already. You might've seen Peterme and JJG from Adaptive Path around here
from time to time and they organize the event. Wish I could go (I lived in
Austin the past 4 years but this year I'm no longer there). Also, in March,
South By Southwest (SXSW) has an interactive festival that will include more
web focused industry types - I plan to attend this. The key is always
networking. Finding a job cold without any referrals is always difficult.

If nothing else, look at the job sites like the ones others have already
mentioned and see what kind of companies are hiring to get some idea.

Also (shameless plug coming) check out: http://jobs.ok-cancel.com

Good luck and enjoy the warm weather and Mozart's.

KC
www.ok-cancel.com