[Sigia-l] secret question & answer

ashk at ashk.org ashk at ashk.org
Thu Feb 5 21:31:12 EST 2004

This is probably a late response to your question. Still here it is for what
it is worth:

I have seen the 'create your question and answer' option throw up really
interesting results in iterative testing cycles. In the end I have been
driven to the conclusion that the result is not worth the trouble and is
inherently fraught with security issues.

If you do get the users to understand the intent there is no guarantee that
they will create 'unique-answer' questions (in fact, some users entered 'the
color of the sky?' or 'how do you spell cat?' as the question; some used
'best friend's name?' etc. only to say that they would probably forget the
answer and/or use trial and error).

That said, I have personally used the options that my bank gave me (3
successive Q-A's) to reset my password (thereby saving them the cost of a
call); I can't say they are totally without merit. I have also noticed that
many times the utility (or efficiency) of this mechanism is reduced due to
poor interaction design.

The following interaction tricks have had some success in the past:
1. Separate profile creation from the Q-A creation by keeping them on
separate pages. The cognitive load of creating 'unique' responses trips
people up; especially when they are entering their ID-password and possibly
other personal info.
2. Try to follow a wizard like interface and create the 'sets' one by one.
3. Make the process optional but explain the consequences (e.g. 1-3 business
days to reset by calling 800 number; might not be an option in some cases)
4. Nothing frightens users more than an empty field. Prepopulate the
create-your-own question field with the closest example of a unique question
('mother's maiden name?').
5. Provide extra messaging (1-2 succinct lines) and examples (again
unique-answer types) next to the question field. (Yes, they will copy and
paste!). Also look to provide fewer options around the fields (more white
space)
6. Try to bolster the security of the retrieval by some numeric query (last
four of the social, month and year of birth etc.)

I have recently seen sites employ different methods for password
retrieval/reset by using innovative methods of authentication (See
Priceline, INGDirect). I hope this is because they are looking at the
problem holistically and am curious to learn the results.

HTH,

-Adamya